Monday, December 24, 2012

"Christmas Dreams"



I was told of several stories about how freaked out many people, Catholics included, were on the day approaching December 21st, the alleged date of the end of the world. Admittedly, I find these stories as ridiculous as they are saddening. Were we that terrified of the thought of facing our Savior who loves us so much? If, we say, “there is no room for fear in love,” then, ought we asked ourselves: just how much love do we really have for Him?
Every morning, as I kneel in the chapel before Communal Morning Prayer, I always say to the Lord the same following words, “Lord and Master of my life, thank you for giving me one more day to love you, to serve you, and to honor you with my life.” Every moment I am allowed on this earth is a gift so that I may love the Lord in what I do for others; if he so calls me home at the very minute, then so be it. I would be very happy to be able to finally meet my Lord who loves me and whom I dearly love, or at least I try to do so.
Why do I begin with this thought? I personally just think that at times we simply forget the meaning of Christmas. Christmas has been reduced to a chance for gift-exchanging, family union, shopping, partying, etc., and if you are a bit spiritual, then perhaps, some carol singing would be included. Friends, Christmas is a celebration of the Lord’s birthday. But, the Church points us to the Eschatological meaning of Christmas – an anticipation for the Second Coming. While rejoicing in his birth, we look forward to his return. Should we be that terrified and unprepared?
Now, having said that, is there a Christmas reflection? I am afraid I don’t have one. What I want to share in place is some Christmas dreams. Cheesy? I guess. But, here they are – my Christmas dreams:
·         I dream of a world without violence where no innocent human life would be loss meaninglessly, especially those of the vulnerable – the elderly, women, and children – those who have no chance to defend themselves.
·         I dream of a world without hatred where human beings would treat each other with kindness and charity in according with their God-given dignity, where they would overlook differences, where the strong would not pick on the weaker, where there would be no need of exerting one’s power, unless it was for the defense of the powerless.
·         I dream of a world without sadness where no family would be broken, no love would be torn by tragedies, no tears would be shed other than of forgiveness and joy.
·         I dream of a world without poverty and hunger, and not only that of material and physical deprivations, but that of spiritual poverty. Nothing is worse that the poverty of being unloved and uncared for.
·         I dream of a world without death where human life would be uphold and fittingly venerated from its moment of conception to its natural ends.
·         I dream of a world without the rejection of God where his holy will is carried out, for without him, none of those dreams stated above would be fulfilled.
·         Finally, I dream of a world joining the voice of the angels crying out, “Glory to God in the highest and peace on earth to people of good will.”
As John Lennon said, “you may say I am a dreamer,” for these are such ideals that the so called “realists” would think as impossibilities. But, friends, once we cease to dream, we cease to care, then dreams, in turn, cease to be realized. We have the power to dream. We have the power to dream for a better world. We have the power to realize that dream one step at a time by our effort and our prayers.
Today is birthday of the Savior of the world, the Wonderful Counselor, the Prince of Peace, the Emmanuel. In the world of many troubles and sadness, lest we forget that God is always with us. In him, with him, and through him, we can dream for better and we can hope that one day that dream will be realized.

No comments:

Post a Comment